Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Play in (High) Schools?

This morning I came across an article in my Facebook feed titled "How Finland Keeps Kids Focused Through Free Play." We often talk about, and argue for, recess for K-5 students, but I started thinking about my own teaching and the high school schedule in terms of recess or play time. There is none. And I am guilty of it, too. Schools instituted block scheduling so there would be more time for learning, and as teachers on block schedule we know to vary our activities in order to keep kids awake and focused. But, is that enough? I wonder after reading this article. I feel the pressure to get it all done, and I have come to the conclusion that no matter how many days or hours I am allotted to teach I WILL NEVER GET IT ALL DONE. There. I said it. So, what would be the harm in giving my students a 10-15 minute break halfway though each period. Food for thought as I continue to eat humble pie this summer . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment